Whoo! We’ve talked a lot of pattern in the last few weeks. I hope you’ve been inspired to add some pattern to your home – or even to try a new mix!
So many options could get anyone’s head spinning! But, don’t let it intimidate you! I’ve put together a few simple tips to help you flawlessly mix impactful patterns. Follow these 4 simple steps, and you’ll be on the road to beautiful pattern bliss.
1. Choose a color scheme. Start with 2 or 3 main colors. Choose patterns that incorporate these colors.
Traditional Family Room by Cornelius Interior Designer StarrMiller Interior Design, Inc.
2. Start with one pattern that you love, and work from there. This pattern can even help you determine your color scheme, and give you inspiration to choose the other patterns to go with it.
Contemporary Bedroom by Portland Interior Designer Garrison Hullinger Interior Design Inc.
3. Vary scale. Choose different sizes of patterns. To keep it simple: choose one large scale pattern, one medium scale, and one small scale pattern.
4. Add solids to give your eyes a break. Use solids of the colors within your color scheme as a backdrop and relief from your patterns. It will increase the impact of the patterns you choose, and help the combination not get too overwhelming.
Traditional Bedroom by Atlanta Interior Designer Cristi Holcombe
You can do it!
1. Color. 2. Start with 1. 3. Vary scale. 4. Add solids.
Go forth and conquer! Be empowered to add some pattern pizzazz! -Rachel